Please print the following document for each new tenant. We suggest keeping the signed document on file with your Lease / Rental Agreement.
MULTI-FAMILY & APARTMENT BUILDING INSPECTIONS
Connecticut General Statute Section 29-305 gives a Fire Marshal or his designees the authority to inspect dwelling units between the hours of 9am to 5pm (with Tenant permission).
Connecticut Law allows Tenant to grant approval to inspect any part of the building to which the Tenant has access.
The Landlord CANNOT grant access to a Tenant's dwelling unit without the Tenants' permission.
What to Expect During a Fire Safety Code Inspection
The Fire Marshal will inspect for:
- Means of Egress (exiting) / # of exits
- Smoke detection, alarms & communication systems
- Exit & interior doors
- Stairs, ramps & railings
- Fire escapes
- Areas of refuge
- Fire separation / Fire protection / Interior finishes
- Emergency lighting / Egress illumination
- Exit lighting
- Fuel burning appliances
- Sprinkler systems (where applicable)
- Storage areas such as basements & attics